Sutton Massachusetts Town History
As the town seal says, Sutton was bought from the Nipmuc Native Americans in 1704, and settled in 1716. The township of Sutton as incorporated consisted of an eight mile square tract of land that extended to Hassanamisco (Grafton). Story of the purchase from the Nipmuc tribe.
Of the three first families to settle in Sutton, Elisha Johnson and his family were known to stay through the first winter - he settled on property in the area we would call Wilkinsonville, near Marble Village.
By 1735 Hassananmisco - a Nipmuc "praying village" for natives who had become Christians - and a small portion of the northeastern territory of the Township of Sutton had incorporated as the town of Grafton. In early days Millbury was called North Parish and was a part of Sutton. Millbury was set apart from Sutton in 1813.
In the 1830's, Wilkinsonville (a section in north Sutton) took its own name; another area name is "Pleasant Valley" - known now because of the Golf Course named that in Sutton.
Through the 1700s and 1800s Sutton was a town that enjoyed both agricultural and industrial benefits. The farms and orchards in the area did very well, as did the three large mills that were built in the Manchaug area.
About Sutton Massachusetts
History of Sutton - Volume 1
Historical Etchings from the 1800s
Sutton Historical Society
Sutton On Line Virtual Museum - TONS of pictures
Historic Houses in Sutton
The Schools of Sutton
The Churches of Sutton
The Mills of Sutton
Sutton Massachusetts Genealogy
Who is Rufus Putnam? - the man named on our seal
How did Sutton get its name?
The original 1704 Grant
Tale of the First Settled Winter - 1716
An Exchange with the Indians - 1720s
A Revolutionary War Story - 1770s
A Sheep Story - 1827
The Tornado of 1831
Stories of Sutton in the 1900s, from Sutton Seniors