Sutton Massachusetts Blacksmith Shop
The Blacksmith-Wheelwright Shop, circa 1893, was purchased by the Society in 1971 as a "turnkey" transition. All the tools, equipment, oxen hoist (for shoeing) and wheelwnght machinery were left intact by Lewis Sherman who closed the shop in 1953. Daniel Dudley built the shop and several years later sold it to Hollis Sherman. Shortly afterward the wagon shop addition was constructed probably by George Rich, a wheelwright.
In 1977 extensive repairs were made to the building that included replacing boards on three sides, window frames on the South side, most of the sill and many piers to level the structure. The roof was wooden shingled a couple of years later. A Society member holds forth as the blacksmith.
Sutton Historical Society