Sutton Massachusetts

Town of Sutton
Historical Society


Volume III
Lewis Historical Publishing Company
New York City

HERBERT ALLSTON KIMBALL, Merchant, was born in Sutton, Massachusetts, February 15, 1847, son of Andrew Jackson and Elvira Maria (Peck) Kimball. He attended the public schools of his native town of Oakham. He became a wage-earner when but nine years old on a farm, and enlisted at the age of fifteen, August 6, 1862, for three years in Company F. Thirty-sixth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers. He took part in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, both battles of Fredericksburg, the siege of Vicksburg, and battle of Jackson, Mississippi. He was private orderly for Major-General John G. Parke, commander of the Ninth Army Corps. During the Vicksburg campaign, and was with General Parke when he was guest of General Grant, and went into Vicksburg to witness the surrender of General Pembertonís troops. Later he participated in the battles of Blue Springs, Loudon, Campbellís Station, Fort Sanders and the siege of Knoxville, Tennessee, East Tennessee campaign, and the battles of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania. He was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness and ordered to the hospital, but did not go, was wounded again at the battle of Spottsylvania, in the head, and has carried a rebel bullet there ever since. He was in the hospital two months, and while there his nurse, who was an intimate friend of the family of President Lincoln, introduced him to the president, who never failed afterward, when visiting the hospital, to come to the bedside of Mr. Kimball. From May 12 to August 7, 1864, he was away from his regiment, afterward he was in the Weldon Railroad raid, the battle at Pegram Farm, Fort Steadman, the siege of Petersburg, and Appomattox. He was mustered out June 8, 1865.

Herbert A. Kimball returned to school in 1865. In 1866 he entered the employ of Alfred Holden in the store of the New England Tea Company in old Brinley Hall, Main street; in 1867 he was a clerk for Carpenter & Irwin, grocers, Southbridge. He bought the business of Daniel Walker, manufacturer of hoop skirts, in 1869, added a line of ladiesí furnishings, and continued in this business as manufacturing and retain dealer until 1873, when he sold out. In the spring of that year he came to Worcester to become buyer of ladiesí furnishings for S. J. Wilcox & Company, dry goods dealers, No. Main street. In 1876 he left that firm to enter the employ of J. H. Clarke & Company, dry goods dealers, and had charge of the domestic department of that firm from 1876 to 1887. He then became buyer for the cloak and suit department, and continued with that firm and its successor, Johnson, Carpenter & Company, until it went out of business in 1907. During the following two years he was with the Denholm & McKay Company again. In 1909 he retired from active business on account of physical disability, after fifty years of labor.

Mr. Kimball is a Republican, casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln on the field at Antietam in 1864. (Soldiers allowed to vote regardless of age) He has voted for every Republican candidate for president since then, he has shaken hands with every president since President Buchanan. He is a member of George H. Ward Post No. 10, Grand Army of the Republic and has been senior vice-commander, commander of the Worcester County Association, Grand Army of the Republic, and chancellor of Regulus Lodge No. 71, Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the Worcester Chamber of Commerce, and has been a member of the Worcester County Music Festival Association for thirty years, member of the standing committee of the Plymouth Congregational Society and auditor for many years.

Mr. Kimball married in Southbridge, August 15, 1871, Sarah Caroline Morse, born in Southbridge, February 8, 1844, daughter of Dwight and Eliza Ann (Heyward) Morse. Her father was born at Southbridge, March 20, 1810, and died there, July 11, 1871; her mother was born at Sturbridge, 1810, and died August 31, 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Kimball have had two children; (1) Allston Dwight, born November 2, 1872; enlisted, May 12, 1898 in Company H, Second Massachusetts Volunteers, Wellington Rides; with his regiment participated in the Santiago campaign in Cuba, June, 1808; battle of San Juan, July 1-2-3, 1898; returned with regiment to Camp Wycoff, Montauk Point, Long Island, where he died in United States Army Hospital, August 18, 1808; buried from Plymouth Church, Worcester, had a large military funeral as he was the first Worcester boy to die during the Spanish-American War. (2) Frank Peck, born August 28, 1875, died September 6, 1890. Mr. Kimball has resided since 1879 at No. 21 Beeching street.

Sutton Historical Society Webpage