The Eight Lots School
The Eight Lots School one-room school house was built in Sutton Massachusetts circa 1785-1790 on land deeded to the town in 1784. This makes this school the very first one built in Sutton - until this point, young children were taught in their own private homes.
The school retains its original exterior appearance in not having major renovations in its two centuries of existence. Minor interior changes were made in 1853. Classes were held until 1895 and resumed in 1911 until 1918. In the 1920s former pupils joined to organize the Eight Lots School Association whose purpose was to maintain the school as a community facility.
On February 6, 1928, the Town voted to deed the land and school to the Association. The group diminished to seven members by 1990. Unable to maintain the property, they deeded it to the Historical Society July 2, 1990. That Fall the gable ends were repaired, roof re-shingled and the building repainted.
Images from 2010 taken by Lisa Shea:
Schools of Sutton